Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Celebrity sightings and DADT repeal

I left work at 1:00pm to go to the deli on 8th St. I was about 10 or so odd paces behind some guy carrying a white-plastic grocery bag in one hand, and a ratty guitar case in the other. He had on black athletic shorts, some weird Gortex vest, and a floppy olive-green baseball cap. At first I thought he was homeless, not gonna lie.

He rounded a corner and I followed. Not because I'm a creepy stalker, we were just going the same way. A small gaggle of students walked by him, then past me. Out of their excited chatter I made out, "Oh my God that was Daniel-freaking-Craig." The homeless Craig clone kept walking, but turned his head and shot a look. There was no mistaking those sparkly blue eyes. It was indeed Daniel-freaking-Craig. I guess trying to look homeless was a clever ruse to travel incognito. But if you're James Bond...well good luck with that.

This is actually the second time I've seen him wandering the East Village. Last time he was with his wife (the lovely Rachel Weiss). I felt tempted to try and snap a picture, but he probably get's tired of it. That, and I'm slightly afraid he'd cut me in half with the lazer that undoubtedly shoots out of his James Bond wrist watch.

Being a celebrity nowadays is weird. In most cases you're only famous because millions of people have seen you on a screen (or naked on the internet), not because you've cured something or went to the moon.

In other new Don't Ask Don't Tell expires tonight. I really don't have much to say on the subject except this:  When the shit hits the fan, there are only two things that would matter to me about a fellow soldier. 1) Can he carry me if I need him to? 2) Does he have good aim?

This isn't just because I'm gay and I'm motivated to push equality forward etc. This is because our military is made up of volunteers. Any man or woman who would willingly enter the bullet riddled shit show that is the Middle East deserves our respect. End of story. If you think soliders would find it distracting, then I think you should spend some time talking to some actual active duty servicemen. But don't blame me when they knock your teeth out for being dumb.

~n

No comments:

Post a Comment